Purslane, which is an edible weed, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and perfect in this Portuguese Purslane Soup with Alentejo Bread. With its lemony, tart taste, it pairs well with the tomatoes, potatoes, garlic and goat cheese. Alentejo bread is a dense bread with lots of flavor for dipping into this hearty, healthy soup. Have it on a cold winter day, or wind down at the end of a long week with this guaranteed comfort food.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Portuguese Purslane Soup with Alentejo Bread.
1. Info for Portuguese Purslane Soup with Alentejo Bread
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 605.84 kcal
2. Ingredients for Portuguese Purslane Soup with Alentejo Bread
- 1 bunch purslane
- Olive oil, to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped in quarters
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 tomato, chopped and seedless
- Salt, to taste
- Eggs, to taste
- 1 Alentejo bread, or other dense bread
- Goat cheese
- Goat cheese
- Start by thoroughly washing the purslane, then remove the leaves, and set aside.
- Heat a pan with olive oil, add onions, and fry until translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir for a little while more.
- Add the purslane twigs and leaves, and let them soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced potatoes and tomatoes.
- Finally, add enough water for the amount of servings you want to prepare.
- Season with salt, cover, and simmer.
- Five minutes before removing from heat, add the eggs to poach them.
- Cut slices of Alentejo bread, and place in each bowl to be served.
- Cover the bread with the soup, and garnish with slices of goat cheese.