Spicy and smoky guajillo chilies make this breakfast feast a family favorite.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Red Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs.
1. Info for Red Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 467.01 kcal
2. Ingredients for Red Chilaquiles with Fried Eggs
- 10 dried guajillo chilies (buy at Latino markets and online)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 15 oz. crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (for chiles)
- 8 oz. tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (for eggs)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 radish (sliced, for serving)
- 2 Tbsp. red onion (finely sliced, for serving)
- 1 Tbsp. cotija cheese (crumbled, for serving)
- Cilantro leaves (for serving)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Snip off chili stems, then cut lengthwise and shake out seeds. Put 4 cups water and chilies in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil until the chilies are pliable, about 3 minutes.
While chilies are softening, coarsely chop the onion and garlic and put in a blender. Use tongs to transfer the boiled chilies to blender, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add the tomatoes, salt, and the reserved cooking water, and blend until smooth.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add guajillo mixture, cover, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Fold in the tortilla chips a handful at a time, stirring gently until all chips are evenly covered with sauce. Reduce heat to low, top chips with cheese, and cover pan of chilaquiles.
Heat the oil in a second large frying pan over medium heat. Fry eggs until done the way you like, about 4 minutes for cooked whites and runny yolks.
Using a wide spatula, set fried eggs over chilaquiles. Remove pan of chilaquiles from heat. Slice the radish, finely slice the red onion, and crumble the cotija cheese; then scatter over chilaquiles. Add the cilantro and season with black pepper. Serve immediately.