Equally as delicious for dinner as breakfast, this colorful and nutrient-rich vegetarian dish comes together in less than 30 minutes (though add a little time if you don’t have cooked quinoa on hand). The star ingredient is za’atar, an herbaceous, tangy seasoning blend from the Middle East that’s now widely available in the spice aisle at grocery stores.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Skillet Baked Eggs in Quinoa with Za’atar.
1. Info for Skillet Baked Eggs in Quinoa with Za’atar
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 20 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 420.69 kcal
2. Ingredients for Skillet Baked Eggs in Quinoa with Za’atar
- 4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. za’atar seasoning (for quinoa; buy in grocery spice aisle)
- 1 tsp. salt (for quinoa)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (for quinoa)
- Nonstick cooking oil spray (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or teardrop tomatoes; red or a mix of colors)
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 8 fresh mint leaves (large)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- za’atar seasoning (to taste, for serving)
- Salt (to taste, for serving)
- Black pepper (to taste, for serving)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a 10 inch cast-iron skillet in the oven while it preheats.
Put the quinoa, Parmesan, za’atar, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
Carefully remove hot skillet from the oven and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the quinoa in an even layer in bottom of skillet.
With the back of a spoon, create four indentations in the quinoa. Crack the eggs into indentations, taking care not to break the yolks.
Bake the skillet on middle rack of oven until egg whites are set, 15-20 minutes. For runny yolks, bake for the shorter amount of time, and for solid yolks, the longer amount of time. Meanwhile, prepare toppings.
Halve the tomatoes and olives. Stack the mint leaves, roll lengthwise into a bundle, and thinly slice crosswise into slivers.
Check to see that eggs are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Sprinkle tomatoes, feta cheese, green olives, and mint leaves over the dish. Season to taste with additional za’atar, salt, and black pepper and serve immediately.