Silken tofu blended with nutritional yeast, turmeric, and cashew milk wonderfully mimics the texture of chicken eggs in this veggie-loaded vegan quiche.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Vegan Spinach, Mushroom, and Red Pepper Quiche.
1. Info for Vegan Spinach, Mushroom, and Red Pepper Quiche
- Cook Time: 1 hr 35 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 35 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 140.68 kcal
2. Ingredients for Vegan Spinach, Mushroom, and Red Pepper Quiche
- 1 frozen pie shell
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 oz. baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- black pepper
- 1 block firm tofu (14 oz., drained)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt (plus more, to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (plus more, to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Move a rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Prick the bottom of the frozen pie shell several times with a fork, and transfer to a baking sheet. If using a refrigerated crust, arrange it in a 9-inch pie pan, then prick the bottom with a fork.
- Bake the pie shell on bottom rack of oven until the bottom is slightly puffed, 12-14 minutes, or according to package directions. When done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Slice the mushrooms, finely dice the red pepper, and roughly chop the spinach.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the red pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes, then add the spinach. Season lightly with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the spinach is fully wilted and the mushrooms are browned, 1-2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Place the tofu, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend on high until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the spinach, mushrooms, and peppers to the tofu mixture. Fold with a rubber spatula until the vegetables are evenly distributed.
- Pour the tofu mixture into the pie shell. Cover the edges of the pie shell with pie guards or strips of aluminum foil to avoid burning or over-browning the crust.
- Bake the quiche on bottom rack of oven until the top is firm and golden brown, 55-65 minutes.
- Check to see that quiche is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before slicing and serving. Leftover quiche may be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.