By now you guys all know how much I LOVE my superfood smoothies!! They are nutritious, great for weight loss, super tasty, fast & easy to make, and absolutely DELICIOUS!!
Adding superfoods to your smoothies is a great way to get a BOOST in nutrition. I just went to California for a girls weekend where we indulged in lots of not-so-healthy foods and a ridiculous amount of cocktails…hey, it happens! Plus it was a blast so it’s totally worth it!! I don’t stress about falling off the wagon and not being perfect. Instead when I get back home, I just get right back on track and load up on greens and superfood smoothies! Today’s smoothie reminds me of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups which makes getting back on track so much easier! It has extra nutrition from superfoods like Cacao Powder, CocoCeps, Chia Seeds, and Probiotics. Just take a look at all the amazing health benefits of each of these ingredients, it’s kind of unbelievable!
Cacao Powder contains many important vitamins and minerals including:
- Magnesium, and other essential minerals including calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, and manganese
- Polyphenols called flavonoids, with antioxidant properties
- Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, E
- Essential heart-healthy fat: oleic acid a monounsaturated fat
These nutrients found in raw chocolate have been linked to a number of health benefits:
- Raw chocolate can lower blood pressure & improve circulation – Flavanols, theobromine, and other components found in cacao may lower blood pressure and enhance circulation by promoting dilation, strength, and health of blood vessels
- Raw chocolate can promote cardiovascular function & health – The antioxidant power of flavonoids and essential minerals and vitamins found in cacao can support healthy heart functioning by lowering blood pressure, improving blood flow, lowering LDL cholesterol, and reducing plaque buildup on artery walls.
- Raw chocolate Can Neutralize free radicals – High levels of antioxidants protect the body from a buildup of free radicals from sun exposure, pollution, cigarette smoking, etc., which may damage healthy body tissue giving rise to cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Raw Chocolate can improve digestion – A sufficient amount of fiber delivered with each serving of cacao supports digestion while cacao stimulates the body’s production of digestive enzymes.
- Raw chocolate can enhance physical and mental well-being – There are many components of cacao including alkaloids, proteins, beta-carotene, leucine, linoleic, lipase, lysine, and theobromine, that all work together to improve physical and mental health. For example, theombromine helps to stimulate the central nervous system, relax smooth muscles, and dilate blood vessels, giving the body a boost of energy; “bliss” chemicals found in cacao help to increase circulation and availability of serotonin and other neurotransmitters in brain, improving mood and combating depression.
Cococeps contains Micronized Reishi which is probably the most well-known tonic mushroom in the world. It is known in China by the name Ling Zhi, and revered throughout East Asia as the “Mushroom of Longevity.” Cococeps also contains Micronized Cordyceps, a potent tonic used for centuries in Tibetan and Chinese cultures to promote energy and longevity.
- Restore health during convalescence and treat deficiency syndrome caused by overstrain.
- Strengthen the immune system to help the body resist and withstand attacks from virus and bacteria.
- Prevent tumor activity.
- Regulates sleep problems and improves sleep quality.
- Improves blood circulation and regulates blood pressure.
- Reduce triglycerides and cholesterol levels, thus promoting cardiovascular heath.
- Improve sexual function in men and also combats infertality in women.
- Alleviates arrhythmias, thus protects the heart.
- Resists allergy.
- Increases vitality and stamina. It is especially useful in alleviating fatigue, enhancing physical endurance, and mental acuity.
- Controls liver, lung and kidney dysfunction.
- Resists respiratory problems.
- Reduces pain
- Neutralizes side effects caused by radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
- Protects against free radical damage and oxidative stress, thus slows down the effect of aging.
Chia Seeds are one of my favorite superfoods! Just look at all these health benefits:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Chia seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fats, especially omega-3 fatty acids. Chia seeds’ lipid profile is composed of 60 percent omega-3s, making them one of the richest plant-based sources of these fatty acids — specifically, of alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA. The omega-3s in chia seeds can help reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol.
- Fiber – Fiber is associated with reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol and regulating bowel function. Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber, with a whopping 10 grams in only 2 tablespoons. That is one-third of the daily recommended intake of fiber per day.
- Antioxidants – Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, aging and cancer. The high antioxidant profile also helps them have a long shelf life. They last almost two years without refrigeration.
- Minerals – Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of the DRI for calcium, 35 percent for phosphorus, 24 percent for magnesium and about 50 percent for manganese. These nutrients help you prevent hypertension and maintain a healthy weight, and are important for energy metabolism and a part of DNA synthesis.
- Satiety – Satiety is the feeling of being full and satisfied, which helps lower food cravings between meals. The combination of protein, fiber and the gelling action of chia seeds when mixed with liquids all contribute to their satiating effects.
- Gluten-Free – Chia seeds contain no gluten or grains. Therefore, all of the nutritional benefits of chia seeds can be obtained on a gluten-free diet.
- Easily absorbed – unlike flaxseeds, which are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and minerals, chia seeds do not need to be ground in order to obtain their nutrient benefits.
- Cholesterol – A study published in the “British Journal of Nutrition” showed that chia seeds as a dietary fat source can lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels while increasing HDL or “good” cholesterol. The study also found that when substituting chia seeds for other fat sources, such as corn oil, the ALA was able to prevent high triglyceride levels and reduce central obesity.
- Blood Sugar Regulation – Chia seeds can play an important role in regulating insulin levels. They can reduce insulin resistance and decrease abnormally high levels of insulin in the blood.
Probiotics are essential for proper health and weight loss. They support:
- Enhanced immune system response
- Alleviates negative affects of taking many types of antibiotics
- Calms colon irritation following surgery
- Helps to support healthy skin in youth
- Increased ability to digest food
- Therapeutic for upper respiratory complaints
- Reduces lactose intolerance
- Reduces incidence of yeast infections, vaginitis and candidiasis
- Increases ability to assimilate the nutrients from food
- Alleviates many common digestive disorders such as constipation, diarrhea and IBS
- Acts as a remedy for bad breath (halitosis)
- Increases ability to synthesize vitamin B
- Increases ability to absorb calcium
Chocolate Peanut Butter Superfood Smoothie is my most recent creation which literally tastes like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup plus it’s loaded with unbelievable health benefits!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
1. Info for Chocolate Peanut Butter Weight Loss Smoothie Recipe
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Total Time: 2 mins
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chocolate Peanut Butter Weight Loss Smoothie Recipe
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 Tbs Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbs Chia Seeds
- 2 Tbs Almond Butter
- powder from 3 caps of Probiotics (simply twist open and empty powder)
- 2 dropperfuls Vanilla Stevia to taste
- Simply blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Add more almond milk if needed.
4. Tips and advices:
- Time Saver: When I go to the grocery store I always buy 3-4 bunches of bananas at a time. As they start to get spotty and brown I peel them FIRST, then put them in a plastic bag and into the freezer. This will allow you to always have bananas on hand and not have to constantly go to the grocery store or waste them when they go brown!