Growing up, I was the only grandchild on my Mom’s side. It afforded me a lot of one on one time with the older grown ups. We would travel to upstate New York for the holidays and because I was the only child around, I was in the room while all of the visiting and reminiscing happened. My Grandmother’s sister, Viola included me on her Christmas shopping list for many years. She passed along to my Mom (who then passed on to me) the recipe for her Chocolate Cookies with Boiled Butter Frosting. Mom used to make these up in huge batches and freeze them between waxed paper in square Tupperware containers. I would sneak out to the freezer and eat them frozen all of the time. (Apparently I used to sneak quite a bit of food as a child, it is a wonder I am not 300 pounds!!!)
1. Info for Aunt Viola’s Chocolate Cookies
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Aunt Viola’s Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp cocoa
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat sugar, egg and milk together.
- Sift flour, salt, cocoa and soda together and add.
- Add vanilla.
- Melt shortening and add last.
- Beat until smooth.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased or silpat lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees 10-12 minutes.
- Boil sugar, butter, milk and salt vigorously.
- Remove from heat and beat in vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Spoon onto cookies.