This time I tossed around a lot of ideas like baked oatmeal, bread, cookies, cupcakes and pies. Finally, though, a batch of stale, uneaten rolls in my fridge convinced me to make bread pudding. And I am so glad that I did. Not only was it delicious, it used up those rolls so they weren’t wasted.
The tartness of Granny Smith apples really went well with the sweetness of the caramel sauce. A healthy dash of cinnamon kept the kitchen smelling yummy for hours. All of my kids gave this dish a big thumbs up.
1. Info for Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- 1 dozen rolls or 8 slices bread, cubed
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 15 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Layer the bread and apples alternately in a 9X9 greased pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Whip the eggs in a separate bowl and then add milk, vanilla and sugar, stirring until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Pour over the bread mixture, scraping out the bits of sugar that like to remain behind.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.
- Uncover and bake another 15 minutes to crisp.
- Melt the caramels and milk in a glass bowl in the microwave.
- Serve over the baked pudding.