A recipe similar to this Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Skillet is pictured on my kitchen calendar. All month, fourth son has been staring at it and mentioning it as he walks by it. When I told him that I was actually going to be making it for dinner, he was a happy camper.
Truth be told, when I actually got around to making this recipe, I didn’t do anything southwest at all. I skipped the hot sausage, red peppers and Jack cheese. Instead, I used mild sausage and Cheddar. I used green bell peppers so that no one would accuse me of trying to sneak tomatoes into their meal (ahem! like I would do that?!?)
The results were eaten with gusto. No leftovers. Three people had seconds. The original meal was meant to have 12 servings, but I cut it into 8.
1. Info for Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Skillet
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Skillet
- 1 16 oz tube refrigerated biscuits
- 16 oz bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- Open the tube of biscuits, separate them and cut each one into six pieces.
- Set aside.
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, brown sausage.
- When it is almost done, add the bell pepper and onion.
- Cook until the meat is done and the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, crack 10 eggs into a large bowl, add the milk and 1 cup of cheese.
- Remove the meat/vegetable mixture from the skillet with a slotted spoon and add it to the egg mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp of fat from the pan.
- Place the biscuit pieces all over the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the sausage egg mixture evenly over the biscuits.
- Top with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 25-30 minutes or until the center eggs are cooked through.