This is my new favorite soup. I love soup, but this one is number one on my list, at least this month. It’s even better the next day, too. The corn tortillas have a chance to thicken up a little, almost like little homemade noodles.
In my large family, I have to double or triple the recipe (depending on how many leftovers I want). I have used rotisserie chickens from the store, canned chicken, leftover chicken and fresh chicken….it all works, so use what is convenient. I have used cans of Rotel, but on days when there was none in the pantry, I have used diced tomatoes and a jar of salsa. This is a very forgiving recipe.
1. Info for Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 4-6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- 2 14 ounce cans tomatoes with chiles (like Rotel)
- 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth (or 4 cups homemade)
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
- 4 small corn tortillas, cut into small squares
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnishes: fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese
- In a stockpot, saute the green onions, garlic and green chiles in the butter or olive oil.
- When soft, add the tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and tortillas, stirring to melt the cream cheese.
- Add the seasonings, stir through and serve.