This weather just won’t quit. It was 75 degrees this weekend and it’s been in the 30’s since the beginning of the week. This is definitely the coldest winter I have experienced in my 9 years in Austin! I grew up in Denver and the midwest so I know I am spoiled here in Texas but I’m so over the cold. I think everyone is!
January was a pretty tough month for me. I’ve noticed certain things in my life that I’m just “putting up” with because it’s easier than addressing the real issue. And you know what happens when you do that? Stress eating. I’ve noticed any time in my life that I’ve turned to stress eating it’s because I am trying to numb out from something in my life that isn’t serving me. I’ve done this with work, relationships, you name it. When you address what’s not working in your life head on, you no longer need to numb out on food. Instead of trying to suppress that energy, you can use it to take action toward your passions. So get off the couch or away from your computer and start making that healthy meal, clean your house, go through your finances, work on your passions, write that novel, compose music, and put your energy into something that serves you. Taking action will bring you closer to what you were put on this earth to do and you won’t feel the need to numb out. It goes for any “addiction” not just food. That’s because it’s not about food, it’s usually about procrastination. Procrastination is FEAR. Fear is stifling, fear makes you shrink. You have to stand up and have the courage to face your fears and take action towards the life you want to live!! It can be as simple as committing to cooking yourself a nice healthy meal. I promise you will feel SO MUCH better for it!
With this cold icy weather we’ve been having I didn’t feel like going to the grocery store so I took action and whipped up a veggie soup using whatever I had on hand. Feel free to modify this recipe according to what you have.
It’s super simple and healthy, yet warm and comforting on cold winter days! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
1. Info for Easy Vegetable Soup
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Easy Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head of celery, diced
- 1 lb bag of carrots, peeled and chopped – I only had a bag of baby carrots so I just used those and chopped them
- 6 red potatoes, cubed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 head of kale, chopped – I used an entire bag of Trader Joes Organic pre-washed and chopped kale
- 32 ounces chicken broth – I used my homemade bone broth, it’s magical!
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- In a large dutch oven or crock pot over med heat, add chicken broth, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes.
- Then add garlic powder, fresh cracked pepper, a generous amount of sea salt, and more water as needed to fill to the top of your pot.Cook for about 30mins then stir in your tomatoes and kale. Adjust sea salt and pepper as needed.
- Cook another 10mins and remove from heat. Serve with toasted Ezekiel bread (you’ll find it in the freezer section at your local health food store) and viola!
4. Tips and advices:
- Remember to have fun making your own creation! You can use any veggies you like; broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, zucchini, summer squash, or cabbage would all be lovely in this soup!