I was in charge of a huge dinner at church one year and this is one of the recipes I handed out to have volunteers make. Every one of the volunteers raved over how easy it was. Every one of the attendees loved it, too. Every one of the dishes turned out. (lucky for me!)
The best thing about this recipe is that it can be vegetarian or not. If you don’t eat meat, then don’t add it. It makes a great side dish for a Mexican themed dinner. If you want a frugal main dish, add some leftover cooked meat; chicken, beef or pork. You can also vary the kind of cheese you use. I have used Cheddar, Monterrey Jack and even Mozzarella, depending on what I had on hand. Regardless of what you use, the basic recipe is great!
1. Info for Fiesta Rice
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Fiesta Rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 can sliced olives
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked meat (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute the onion in the butter.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the next 9 ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Pour water over the rice mixture, cover and bake 350 degrees for 90 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
4. Tips and advices:
- Add 2 cups cooked meat (chicken, beef or pork) for a heartier meal.