My kids used to be so excited when they’d go play at a friend’s house and they’d be served Totino’s or Jeno’s pizza rolls for snack or dinner. They aren’t something that I buy very often (unless the sale is so good I can’t resist, of course) let alone make at home. We love homemade pizza, but to make those little processed rolls, that seemed a bit crazy. One day, however, I found an obscure recipe in an obscure cookbook that promised a clone of those processed little bites. With a bit of tweaking to suit our tastes, this is what I made:
And let me just tell you, these were WAY better than anything you can get in your freezer section. They were very labor intensive, but they were completely worth the work for a special treat, a New Year’s appetizer, a Super Bowl snack or just a meal that doesn’t involve a lot of factory made food.
1. Info for Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Pizza Rolls
- 1 package won ton wrappers (48 count)
- 1½ cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used homemade)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- oil for frying (about 3 cups)
- Cook the sausage.
- Remove from pan and saute onion and pepper in the drippings.
- Drain if necessary.
- Return the sausage to the pan and add the spaghetti sauce.
- Heat through and turn off heat.
- Spread out your wrappers on the counter or cutting board.
- Get a little bowl of water for your finger and a cooling rack on which to place the assembled pizza rolls.
- Put about a teaspoon of filling onto the middle of each wrapper.
- Sprinkle a bit of cheese on top.
- With your finger wet the left and right edges of the wrappers.
- Bring the bottom half up over the filling and seal the edges.
- Wet the top edge of the wrapper and bring that half down over the filling and seal the edges and the center seam.
- Place on the cooling rack.
- When all of the wrappers are filled, heat the oil.
- Place a kernel of popcorn into the oil and when it pops, it’s ready.
- Fry the pizza rolls until golden brown on each side.
- Drain, cool and eat.
4. Tips and advices:
- I had quite a bit of filling left over. It means I will either be buying more wrappers this week, or I am going to put it on a bun for a great sandwich.