This evening, my soon to be high school son asked if he could make pretzels. He took a foods class last year and came home with all sorts of recipes. This one in particular, was a keeper. We will be having these again and again! These pretzels do not need to be boiled before the baking. They get dipped into a baking soda liquid that gives them a chewy texture with no worries of burning little arms. This is a perfect kid friendly recipe.
*Update* This recipe has become one of our favorites. At least once a month, my oldest son made these pretzels as a snack for the family. The kids prefer the sugar and cinnamon topping over the salt, so they became a sweet treat, great for a quiet Sunday afternoon.
1. Info for Homemade Pretzels
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Pretzels
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- coarse salt
- melted butter
- Add first four ingredients to 1 cup hot water.
- Form into smooth ball.
- Place in a plastic zip lock bag and let rest 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll into long ropes and form into pretzel knots.
- Dip into a mixture of ¾ cup hot water , 1 Tbsp sugar and baking soda.
- Place on greased baking sheets and let rise 10-15 minutes.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter while hot and sprinkle with coarse salt.
4. Tips and advices:
- In lieu of salt, these are really good sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, too.