This is my favorite homemade vanilla ice cream recipe. I have been making it for decades and it is always a hit. It’s one of those recipes that has to be cooked and it contains eggs, so it is a little bit more involved than other recipes. The extra work is definitely worth it, however. The results are a heavenly, creamy “iced custard” that explodes in your mouth with vanilla flavor.
1. Info for Homemade Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half and half
- ⅛ cup vanilla
- Heat milk in a pan to 175 degrees.
- You must use a candy thermometer while heating the milk.
- Stir in the sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved.
- Add some of the milk mixture to the bowl in which you beat the eggs, tempering the eggs (raising them to the temperature of the milk so the eggs don’t cook when added)
- Whisk the egg mixture into the milk mixture.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. (about 160 degrees)
- Remove from heat and add the half and half and the vanilla.
- Refrigerate in the metal pan (to speed cooling).
- When totally cold, pour into a frozen ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Freeze 2 hours before serving.