We had this last night for dinner. Normally, I would put it over spaetzle, but there wasn’t time, so I made rice. The chicken was so moist and the sauce was great.
I recommend having some sweet Hungarian paprika in your spice cupboard for dishes like this. Save the common Spanish type for decorating your potato salad. You might want to have some smoked paprika, too. It adds a lovely flavor, too, in other dishes. The three different paprikas are not necessarily interchangeable.
1. Info for Hungarian Chicken
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Hungarian Chicken
- 6 Tbsp flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 5.5 oz can V-8 juice (or ¾ cup tomato juice)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- Buttered Egg Noodles
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Place pieces of chicken in dish and coat.
- Saute onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Remove onion to a bowl and add remaining oil to skillet.
- Brown chicken on both sides.
- Combine V-8 juice, paprika, sugar and salt.
- Pour over chicken.
- Add bay leaf, broth and onion to pan.
- Cover and cook on low 45-60 minutes.
- Remove chicken to serving dish.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Add sour cream to pan, stir and heat through, but don’t boil.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Serve immediately.
4. Tips and advices:
- To make this gluten free, simply substitute gf all-purpose flour for the regular.