This is one of those really flexible desserts. You pick the flavor of ice cream. You choose what kind of sauce if any. You can add nuts or mini chocolate chips with the ice cream. You can dust it with powdered sugar or top it with frosting or ganach. The options are endless.
My mom always served this with homemade hot fudge sauce. These days, I am more realistic and serve it with a bottle of chocolate syrup. We love mint chocolate chip ice cream, cookies n cream or vanilla ice cream as fillings.
Be sure to plan ahead when you make this. You have to get the ice cream very soft when you build the log. Then it needs time to freeze before you can serve it. Plan on 3-4 hours at least from start to finish. It is worth the wait. Trust me.
1. Info for Ice Cream Roll
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Ice Cream Roll
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 quarts mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper.
- Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored.
- Beat in water and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 375u00b0 for 12-14 minutes or until cake is lightly browned.
- Cool for 5 minutes; turn onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar or cocoa.
- Peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread with ice cream to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll up again; cover and freeze until firm.