When I was at the grocery store last week, I came upon some clearance mushrooms: $.99 for 8oz. I bought all 3 packages the store had and brought them home to make my own Cream of Mushroom soup. I came upon the recipe last summer on one of the Yahoo! groups I belong to…but I hadn’t had the chance to try it ~ until now. This recipe calls for Clear Jel (not the instant kind!!) which you can buy from Amazon . This is the only thickener approved for home canning. It is a modified corn starch.
With my 1 1/2 pounds of mushrooms, I made 8 pints of condensed soup. It ended up being about the same price as store bought, but there is virtually no fat and it has no MSG and it is delicious.
1. Info for Make Your Own Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Make Your Own Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1½ pounds mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup Clear Jel
- 3 quarts beef stock
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Melt butter with olive oil.
- Cook mushrooms, salt, garlic powder and lemon juice until mushrooms are brown.
- Add stock and Clear Jel.
- Heat and stir until it boils and thickens.
- Put into pint jars leaving 1 ” head space.
- Process in pressure canner for 40 minutes at 10lb pressure (or if you live at a higher elevation, 15 lbs).
- When opening to use, add equal amount of milk and soup.