This is a cheap recipe for an old-fashioned cake my husband grew up eating. There is no fat in it, but don’t think it’s diet food. There is a ton of sugar. I try to use fruit cocktail in juice instead of syrup. Also, I usually leave off the brown sugar/nut topping. You can substitute other canned fruit for the cocktail. I have seen this will just peaches, pineapple or pears. My mother-in-law often would drizzle caramel ice cream sauce over the cake. My hubby likes it best with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.
1. Info for Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can (2 cups) fruit cocktail (I use the light stuff, canned in juice)
- Beat sugar, egg and dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla.
- Fold in can of fruit, juice and all.
- Spread in a greased 9 X 9 pan.
- If desired ( and you can handle more sugar!), combine brown sugar and nuts and sprinkle over cake batter.
- Bake 325 degrees for 60 minutes.