We had a great harvest from our plum tree this year. It’s a Santa Rosa plum tree. They are so delicious, but we really couldn’t eat all of them. I cooked up half of the remaining plums, pureed and froze them. I liked the idea of a pseudo apple sauce…a plum sauce. It was very tasty with the addition of some sweetener. I used stevia, my family would prefer brown sugar. Either way, it will probably end up in a cake.
The remaining plums were combined with an equal amount of apples and some spices and then simmered down to a thick fruit butter consistency. I bottled it as you can see in the picture. It will do well on peanut butter sandwiches as well as on roasts or in yeast rolls. With the eight or nine bottles I ended up with, the possibilities are endless.
1. Info for Plum Apple Butter
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 269 kcal
2. Ingredients for Plum Apple Butter
- 3 pounds plums, cut in half and pitted
- 3 pounds apples, peeled and cored
- 3½ cups apple juice
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- In a large pot, simmer plums and apples in apple juice until cooked.
- Either use an immersion blender to puree all of the fruit in the pan, or let it cool and ladle it into a food processor a bit at a time and puree it that way.
- Return it to the pot.
- Add the spices and simmer until reaches the desired consistency.
- Put it in clean jars with lids and use a boiling bath to process…20 minutes.