When I pulled out the recipe for Spinach Casserole last week, I also came across this one for Raspberry Marshmallow Dessert. It is another vintage recipe from my childhood that I have not had for decades. This is one recipe that should not be hidden away in files. It is seriously too delicious to ignore.
After eating some, my husband told me that this dessert was the most delicious thing I had made in a long time. Instead of getting all huffy that he didn’t like my other food, I took it as he intended….this was just a really, really, really good dessert. (Though I do wish he had phrased his praise a little differently). It is so light and refreshing you will find it easy to eat one, two or six pieces.
Plan ahead. Although this is an easy to make dessert, it needs to chill for a few hours before it is served. You could substitute other fruits for the topping: blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, cherry or mango come to mind.
1. Info for Raspberry Marshmallow Dessert
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Raspberry Marshmallow Dessert
- 2 10 oz containers fresh raspberry
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 50 large marshmallows
- 1 cup milk
- 1 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 9 large graham crackers
- In a sauce pan, combine the raspberries, 1 cup water, sugar and lime juice.
- Heat and stir until it bubbles.
- Combine the ¼ cup water and corn starch and add.
- Stir constantly until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a very large microwave save bowl, combine marshmallows, milk and cream cheese.
- Heat 1 minute at a time, stirring after each heating, until smooth and melted.
- Set aside and let cool completely.
- Crush the graham crackers in a food processor.
- Add the melted butter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
- Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- When everything is room temperature, fold the whipped cream into the marshmallow mixture.
- Spread it on top of the crust.
- Spread the raspberry sauce on top of the marshmallow filling.
- Cover tightly and chill until firm (3 hours).
- Cut into squares and serve.
4. Tips and advices:
- I used skim milk and ⅓ less fat cream cheese. I also used an 8oz container of thawed cool whip instead of heavy cream whipped. If you made it with gluten free graham crackers, the entire dessert would be gf.