I recently joined a Facebook group dedicated to recipe round-ups. It’s a place to ask for and give recipe links for specific foods, like peaches or oatmeal. Recently a couple have gone through for S’mores. There are more s’mores recipe variations out there than you might think: cheesecake, donuts, tarts, cookies, ice cream, popcorn. The list goes on and on. My imagination was inspired, so there will be a few s’mores variations showing up here, starting with these poptarts.
You will notice that you cannot see the marshmallows. Those stinkers melt and disappear when they are baked in pastry. Next time, I will use Jet Puffed Marshmallow Bits, but this time, I only had large marshmallows which I snipped into small pieces.
I am all about convenience this summer. I used a store bought pie crust. In 25 years of marriage, it was the first time I haven’t made it from scratch. However, I have discovered that my kids tend to want their breakfast within an hour of rising. At the same time, I have discovered that I don’t really like to cook in any serious way before 10am. In order to satisfy all parties involved, I caved and used a store bought crust. The result were much prettier poptarts than I have made in the past.
This particular poptart fell apart when I removed it from the pan. It may have needed another minute of baking or I may have over filled it.
1. Info for S’mores Poptarts
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 370 kcal
2. Ingredients for S’mores Poptarts
- 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 5 large marshmallows, cut up or ¼ cup Jet Puffed Marshmallow
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
- Unroll one crust onto a dry counter or cutting board.
- Cut it in half.
- Mix the butter, sugar and chocolate chips.
- Spread half of the filling over four separate areas of one half of the crust.
- Top with the other half of the crust.
- Cut into four poptarts.
- Crimp the edges with a fork to prevent the filling from escaping.
- Repeat with the other pie crust.
- Place poptarts on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Mix frosting with chocolate syrup.
- Spread or pipe over cooled tarts.