Most of you know what a huge green juice promoter I am! I am still always shocked at how many people have never had a green juice! Don’t let the color fool you, it actually tastes really good!
As the colder months start to take over, more and more people are prone to getting sick. I know there is a huge push toward flu shots but I am a firm believer in supporting our own bodies natural healing powers. If you give the body what it needs, it will handle it’s business! Very similar to a car, our body has certain needs, and as long as we are maintaining our bodies and providing it with the proper kind of fuel, it can run seamlessly!
We are alkaline beings which in it’s simplest definition, means we are made of lots and lots of minerals (when thinking of minerals, think of elements on the periodic table). These minerals play an essential role as transporters, synergists, and co-factors for nutrients throughout the body. Virtually every process that goes on in the body 24/7 relies on these tiny minerals, also known as micronutrients. They are also what is severely lacking in the standard american diet (SAD). We have an abundance of macro nutrients in the SAD which consist of protein, carbs, and fat. Just think of a typical sandwich; the meat, bread, and cheese are simply protein, carbs, and fat. There are very few minerals.
So where can you get your minerals? Minerals are most abundant in our soil. That means the most mineral dense foods are going to come from the ground. Things like fruits and veggies are all very alkaline and rich in minerals.
I love juicing because it allows us to get SO MUCH more mineral density than we ever could by physically chewing or even blending our food like in a smoothie. This is why juicing is especially important during cold and flu season. Protein, fats, and carbs, while an important part of our diet, are not going to play a large part in supporting the immune system. It’s all those tiny micronutrients that are going to support the immune system best! So forget that flu shot – it’s not very effective anyway! “According to a study in 2008, the influenza vaccine was only 59% successful and benefited only 36% of the healthy children over the age of 2 who received it.” Grab a green juice instead!
Just take a look at all the nutrition in just one juice!
- Cucumber is rich in: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Choline, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Pantothenic Acid, and Manganese
- Apples are rich in: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Choline, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Potassium, Pantothenic Acid, and Manganese
- Limes are rich in: Calcium, Iron, Copper, Vitamin C
- Kale is rich in: Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese
- Parsley is rich in: Protein, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
- Mint is rich in: Protein, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
That’s a HUGE amount of minerals your immune system will LOVE, and that’s just one juice! Just like a car that is well maintained with good quality gas and oil changes, the body, when provided with the materials it needs will function optimally and the immune system will be strong!
1. Info for The Flu Shot Green Juice
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Servings: 1
- Calories: 46Kcal
2. Ingredients for The Flu Shot Green Juice
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 medium sized apples
- 2 limes – skin removed (leaving the skin will make your juice very bitter)
- half a bunch of kale – usually about 6-7 leaves
- several sprigs of parsley
- 5 sprigs of mint
- Simply run all ingredients through a juicer (Breville is my favorite brand) serve over ice and enjoy! This recipe will make roughly 32 ounces, depending on the size of your fruits and veggies. If you want less juice, simply cut the recipe in half. This juice is delicious and even your kids will love the delicious, refreshing taste!