Though we often think of bread pudding as a dessert, this savory version, made with Swiss cheese and onions as well as warm spices, makes a satisfying meatless main dish. You can assemble it ahead a day or two if you like, and bake it just before serving.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Butternut Squash Bread Pudding.
1. Info for Butternut Squash Bread Pudding
- Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 468.6 kcal
2. Ingredients for Butternut Squash Bread Pudding
- Nonstick cooking spray (or olive oil)
- 3 lb. butternut squash (1 medium)
- 2 red onions (medium, about 1 cup chopped per onion)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (for squash)
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for squash)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (for squash)
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cup whole milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt (for bread pudding)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (for bread pudding)
- 1 lb. crusty sourdough bread
- 3 cup Swiss cheese (shredded,12 oz.)
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish and two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil and set aside.
Peel the butternut squash, halve lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Cut squash into 1/2 inch cubes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Chop the onions and add to the bowl of squash.
Add the olive oil, brown sugar, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and pepper to squash mixture and toss well to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
Bake the squash on upper-middle and lower-middle racks of oven for 15 minutes.
Stir squash, then switch pan positions in oven. Continue roasting until tender, about 10 minutes.
When squash is done, remove from oven and set aside.
Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined.
Cut the bread into 3/4 inch pieces.
Add the squash mixture, bread, cheese, and parsley to the egg mixture. (Use a second bowl if it doesn’t all fit.) Toss well to combine. Transfer to the prepared 9×13-inch baking dish.
Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F. Bake the bread pudding on middle rack of oven until top is golden brown and egg mixture has set, 50-55 minutes.
Check to see that bread pudding is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Let the bread pudding stand for 10 minutes before serving.