Chicken breasts cooked in creamy from-scratch gravy and topped with crispy tater tots! Kids and adults alike love this one-dish meal.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Chicken and Tater Tot Hotdish.
1. Info for Chicken and Tater Tot Hotdish
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 276.22 kcal
2. Ingredients for Chicken and Tater Tot Hotdish
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion (small)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 stalk celery (large)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2/3 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt (for sauce)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (for sauce)
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast (about 1 lb. boneless chicken, diced)
- Salt (to taste, for chicken)
- Black pepper (to taste, for chicken)
- 1 bag frozen tater tots (28 oz. per bag)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Finely chop the onion, carrots, and celery. Mince the garlic.
- Set a large pot over medium heat and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute vegetables, stirring frequently with a spatula, until they are softened and translucent, 7-8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the frozen corn and peas to pot and stir until defrosted, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to smell toasty, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stream the chicken broth into the pot while steadily whisking. Add the salt and black pepper. Cook the mixture, whisking steadily, until it begins to thicken and bubble, 3-4 minutes.
- Once sauce is bubbling, whisk in sour cream. Once sauce is smooth, add the cooked chicken. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is slightly reduced and somewhat thickened, 5-6 minutes. Add more salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Transfer chicken mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth it into an even layer.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer over chicken mixture. Sprinkle shredded cheese over tater tots.
- Bake the casserole on middle rack of oven until tater tots are crispy and the dish bubbles at the edges, 25-30 minutes.
- Check to see that casserole is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 5 minutes before serving.