You can also make the recipe using a food processor.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Falafel.
1. Info for Falafel
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 20
- Calories: 120.5 kcal
2. Ingredients for Falafel
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- Warm water
- 2 cans chickpeas (15 oz per can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 large onion (roughly chopped, about 1 cup = 1/2 onion)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or oat flour)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Canola oil for frying
- Diced onion (for garnish)
- diced tomato (for garnish)
- diced cucumber (for garnish)
- Pita bread
- Combine tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and parsley in medium bowl. Add just enough warm water to make the sauce a smooth consistency. Set aside until ready to use. Can be made one day ahead and stored in refrigerator.
- Attach KitchenAid® Metal Food Grinder Attachment with medium grinding plate to KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Position mixer bowl under attachment. Turn mixer to speed 4 and grind chickpeas, onion and garlic. Remove food grinder and attach flat beater and mixer bowl to mixer. Add salt, chili flakes, cumin, baking powder, flour, parsley and cilantro. Turn to Stir speed and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Form falafel mixture into 20 disks about 2-inches in diameter. Heat thin layer of oil in large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, cook falafel 2 to 3 minutes per side until browned and crisp.
- Serve immediately with tahini sauce, onions, tomatoes, cucumber and pita.