Cooking in a cast-iron skillet on a grill opens up delicious and easy possibilities for stylish sides for your proteins. In this recipe, beefy, simply seasoned New York strip steaks are topped generously with wilted onion rings and grape tomatoes. The vegetables cook in a hot skillet with a touch of sugar and balsamic to encourage caramelization — with no sticking on the grate and nothing lost to the fire. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, ovenproof stainless-steel also works. Or you can cook the vegetables on your stove over medium-high heat.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Grilled Garlic and Thyme Strip Steaks with Seared Onions and Tomatoes.
1. Info for Grilled Garlic and Thyme Strip Steaks with Seared Onions and Tomatoes
- Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 563 kcal
2. Ingredients for Grilled Garlic and Thyme Strip Steaks with Seared Onions and Tomatoes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- garlic cloves
- red wine vinegar
- fresh thyme leaves
- boneless NY strip steaks
- large yellow onions
- grape tomatoes
- ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- salted butter
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, red wine vinegar, and 1 teaspoon thyme in a zip-top plastic bag. Add steaks, turning to coat, and seal bag. Refrigerate 1 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, slice onions ¼ inch thick and separate into rings. Halve tomatoes lengthwise.
- Preheat a grill for high heat (450° to 550°). Set steaks on a plate and let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on the grill’s cooking grate and preheat with the lid closed for 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and stir in onions and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally and closing the grill in between, until onions are softened and starting to brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until lightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp. thyme and the butter until it melts. Set pan aside and keep warm.
- Following the insertion guide on the Yummly Thermometer app, insert the thermometer horizontally into a steak until the metal is completely covered.
- Grill steaks 2 minutes with the lid closed, then rotate 1/4 turn. Grill 2 minutes longer. Turn steaks over (or flip when directed to by the thermometer app) and cook 2 minutes; rotate the steaks 1/4 turn. Grill until steaks are as done as you like, 1 to 2 minutes longer for medium-rare (130°). Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
- Taste onion mixture and add more thyme, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar if you like. Slice steaks and serve with the onion mixture.