Recipe created by world champion pitmaster Chris Lilly on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Grilled Pork Pie.
1. Info for Grilled Pork Pie
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Servings: 8
2. Ingredients for Grilled Pork Pie
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup cola
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 pound barbecued pork, chopped
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes; refrigerate. In small mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Add in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Slowly add water, mixing continuously, until a dough ball is formed. Seal dough ball in cling wrap; place in refrigerator overnight.
- Sprinkle countertop generously with flour. On floured area, roll out dough to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Cut dough into five-inch diameter circles. Immediately peel, lift and flip dough circles, making sure they don’t stick. Yield should be eight pie shells.
- In small sauce pan, combine soaking sauce ingredients (white vinegar, cola, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, molasses, paprika, salt, black pepper, hot pepper sauce). Bring sauce to a light boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill using Kingsford charcoal, until internal temperature reaches 400°F.
- Combine chopped pork and 1/2 cup of soaking sauce in medium bowl. Spread three tablespoons of sauced pork onto one-half of each dough circle, making sure outer edge of the shell is uncovered. Lightly moisten edges of dough with water. Fold dough in half creating a half-moon with filling. Gently press pie edges together and crimp with a fork.
- Prep the charcoal grill grate with a grill brush and a light coat of oil. Transfer pies to the grill and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit over direct heat for two to three minutes on each side, or until dough turns a crispy golden brown. Remove from grill and serve with remaining soaking sauce and coleslaw.