Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Savory Mushroom Galettes.
1. Info for Savory Mushroom Galettes
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 5
- Calories: 771.85 kcal
2. Ingredients for Savory Mushroom Galettes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (300 g)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (5 g, for dough)
- 2 sticks butter (226 g, cold and cubed)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (22 g)
- 6 tablespoons ice water (75-90 mL, 5-6 Tbsp.)
- 1 pound wild mushrooms (450 g)
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (for mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (32 mL)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (112 g, or creme fraiche)
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese (41 g)
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard (30 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (for cheese mixture)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- egg wash
- flake salt
- lemon (for zest and lemon twists)
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer with pastry beater attachment; pastry brush; parchment paper; sheet pan
- Make the dough. Fit the KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer with the pastry beater. Add the flour, salt and parmesan into the work bowl and turn the mixer to stir for 10 seconds. While the mixer stirs, add in the cold butter, then increase to speed 2 for one minute. Turn back to stir and then slowly drizzle in ice water on tablespoon at a time. After the last addition of water, immediately turn off the mixer. Remove the work bowl from the mixer and use your hands to gather the dough into a smooth disc. Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and chill/rest the dough for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/204°C. Toss together mushrooms, thyme sprigs, olive oil, and salt, and spread the mixture onto a sheet pan in an even layer. Bake in a preheated oven until mushrooms are just tender, about 15 minutes. Discard herb sprigs; set pan of mushrooms aside. (NOTE: Leave the oven on for baking galettes.)
- Mix together the mascarpone cheese, grated Gruyère, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Lay a piece of parchment onto your sheet pan. Set aside. Lightly flour the countertop and divide the disc of dough into 5 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then use a rolling pin to flatten each ball into a rough circle about 1/4 inch thick. Place the circles of dough onto your parchment covered sheet pan. (NOTE: It’s okay if the dough circles overlap because you’ll be folding them in place, which will create room for baking.) Spread a fifth of the filling onto the center of each circle, leaving 1-inch border around the edge. Cover the cheese with mushrooms, then fold the border of the dough up and over the edge of the filling, pleating as you go. Then, spoon a bit more of the mushrooms on top of the formed galette so they are mounded and not flat. Adjust the placement of the galettes so there is ample room between each for baking.
- Use a pastry brush to egg wash the exposed dough, then sprinkle flake salt and lemon zest over the formed galettes.
- Bake at 400°F/204°C for 18-20 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown. Serve with a twist of lemon.