Make your own gluten-free, high-protein veggie bowls! (And for a vegetarian version, just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.) A sesame oil-fried egg on top adds a lush, bright contrast.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Sesame Fried Egg and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls.
1. Info for Sesame Fried Egg and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 649.07 kcal
2. Ingredients for Sesame Fried Egg and Mushroom Quinoa Bowls
- 1 yellow onion (medium)
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (for eggs)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil (for onion)
- 1 qt. chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil (for sauce)
- 1 tsp. salt (for sauce)
- 2 cup quinoa
- 1 lb. crimini mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for mushrooms)
- 1 tsp. garlic-infused oil (or regular vegetable oil)
- 1 cup frozen edamame (shelled soy beans; or baby lima beans)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for edamame)
- 1 sheet roasted seaweed
- 1 green onion
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds (or white sesame seeds)
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (for serving)
- Finely dice the onion into 1/8 inch pieces.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Fry the eggs one at a time until they reach desired level of doneness. Transfer eggs to a plate. Cover with foil or a second plate to keep warm.
- Add the vegetable oil to the same pan over medium heat, then add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken broth, mirin, soy sauce, oil, and salt. Bring to a boil, then stir in quinoa and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover pan and cook until liquid is absorbed and quinoa turns translucent, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sauteed onion. Cover and set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms. Melt the butter in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to brown, 2-3 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the garlic oil and edamame to frying pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heat through, about 1 minute. Add salt and mix well.
- Cut the seaweed into fine ribbons, and finely chop the green onion. To assemble, fill serving bowls with quinoa. Top with mushrooms, fried eggs, and edamame. Sprinkle roasted seaweed, green onion, and sesame seeds on top of egg. Drizzle each bowl with a few drop of toasted sesame oil.