This awesome sandwich uses smoked paprika and ground chipotle to add just the right amount of spice to boneless skinless chicken breasts without overwhelming the delicate flavor of the chicken. We top our sandwich with a super quick brown sugar bbq sauce and a creamy, crispy, colorful slaw. Use broccoli slaw mix because it doesn’t wilt as quickly as a cabbage slaw and it has a nicer color palette — for even more color, stir in extra shredded carrots and a little shredded red cabbage.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Sweet and Saucy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.
1. Info for Sweet and Saucy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Cook Time: 40 Min
- Total Time: 40 Min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 526.9 kcal
2. Ingredients for Sweet and Saucy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- ground chipotle chile pepper
- broccoli slaw mix
- apple cider vinegar
- granulated sugar
- dark brown sugar
- garlic powder
- dry mustard
- soft sandwich rolls
- Preheat a grill for medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Set chicken on a work surface with the smooth side up. With the heel of your hand or a meat mallet, lightly pound the thick portion of each chicken breast piece so the whole breast is an even 3/4-inch thick.
- For the rub, combine smoked paprika, cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the chipotle in a small bowl. Rub the mixture over both sides of each piece of chicken. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the slaw, combine broccoli slaw mix, mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons vinegar, the granulated sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; mix well and set aside.
- For the sauce, combine ketchup, dark brown sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, the garlic powder, and dry mustard in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Following the insertion guide on the Yummly Thermometer app, insert the thermometer horizontally into a chicken breast until the metal is completely covered.
- Grill chicken with the lid closed until browned on underside, 5-6 minutes. Turn chicken over (or flip when directed to by the Yummly Thermometer app) and grill until the temperature reaches 160°F, 5-6 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grill buns cut side down until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- To assemble, place rolls with cut sides up on a work surface and spread all roll halves with barbecue sauce. Set one piece of chicken on the bottom half of each roll and top with one quarter of the slaw. Cover with tops of rolls. Serve immediately or at room temperature.