Tender beef and pork meatballs, coated in a tangy homemade sauce. Serve these at your next party and watch them disappear in no time!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs.
1. Info for Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 272.36 kcal
2. Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt
- Black pepper
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 dash cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mince the onion.
- Set a small skillet over medium-high heat and pour in the olive oil. Once oil is shimmering, add the minced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and beginning to brown, 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked onion to a large mixing bowl. Add the ground beef, ground pork, eggs, panko, nutmeg, allspice, dry mustard, salt, and black pepper. Using clean hands, work the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the meat mixture into 24 balls about 1 inch in diameter, or 1.5 oz. each, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs on middle rack of oven until cooked through, 16-17 minutes.
- To make the sweet and sour sauce, place the pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, and cayenne in a large pot and whisk until combined. Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low so that sauce is vigorously simmering. Simmer, stirring regularly with a rubber spatula, until sauce is thickened and reduced, for 10-15 minutes.
- Check to see that meatballs are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Transfer the meatballs to the pot of sauce. Simmer until heated through, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs and sauce to a large bowl and serve immediately.