This super-refreshing drink, perfect to sip on a hot summer’s day, has a beautiful balance of watermelon, mint, and lime, without any rum headache! Though the recipe makes 2 drinks, you’ll have enough leftover watermelon juice, watermelon simple syrup, and fresh watermelon to make 4 more drinks — and once you have those components, it takes 10 minutes tops to create a batch.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Watermelon Mockjito.
1. Info for Watermelon Mockjito
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Servings: 2
2. Ingredients for Watermelon Mockjito
- fresh lime juice
- fresh mint leaves
- ice cubes
- sparkling water
- lime slices
- mint sprigs
- For watermelon simple syrup, put sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, to dissolve sugar. Set pan in a bowl of ice water and stir occasionally until syrup is cool, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut watermelon in half and reserve half for other uses. From the remaining watermelon, cut 1 cup of medium watermelon chunks and set aside. Dice 1 cup watermelon and set aside. Cut the rest of the watermelon into large chunks (about 4 cups). Puree the large chunks in a blender, then pour and rub the watermelon juice through a fine strainer. You’ll have about 1 ½ cups watermelon juice.
- Pour cool syrup into a blender and add diced watermelon and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Whirl until very smooth, about 2 minutes; strain. You’ll have about 1 ½ cups watermelon simple syrup.
- To make the mockjito, in a cocktail shaker, muddle the medium chunks of watermelon with mint leaves to release the juice and oils. (If you don’t have a muddler, stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, breaking up watermelon and mint.) Add 2 ounces (¼ cup) watermelon syrup, 2 ounces (¼ cup) watermelon juice, the remaining 2 ounces (¼ cup) lime juice, and a handful of ice cubes. Shake vigorously until cold, then pour into 2 glasses.
- Top drinks with sparkling water. Add a lime slice, mint sprig, and watermelon wedge to each. Leftover watermelon juice and watermelon simple syrup keep, chilled, up to 1 week; stir before using.