This is so refreshing to drink on a sunny day, and a wonderful alternative if you usually like margaritas. In fact, it’s more popular in Mexico than the margarita. The basic formula also works well with other clear liquors, so if you run out of tequila, vodka or gin will work in a pinch.
For each drink:
- 1 to 1½ oz tequila (reposado preferred)
- 1 oz grapefruit syrup (recipe below)
- Club Soda
- Sliced lime, for garnish
- Fill a tall glass with ice. Add the grapefruit syrup and tequila, and top off the glass with club soda.
- Give it a good stir, and garnish with fresh lime.
- Yes, I know my picture has lemon in it, but that’s only because – hey, what’s that over there?? *runs away*
Grapefruit Simple Syrup
- 1 cup pink grapefruit juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp grapefruit zest
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Healthy pinch of salt
- Combine the juices, zest, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to ensure the sugar has melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and let the zest steep in the hot liquid for an hour.
- Strain the mixture into an air-tight container, and store in the refrigerator.