Sometimes there is nothing like a good dinner salad. I am not talking about a pasta or potato salad, but a leafy green salad filled with enough protein and other hearty items to stand alone as a main dish.
Inspired by all of the January salads I have seen in magazines and online, I decided to come up with my own version of a dinner salad. First on my list of must-haves was bacon, followed by hard boiled eggs. There are also some spiced nuts and dried cranberries. The only thing it’s missing is fresh mushrooms, which I left off because my third son, The Engineer, hates them so much. Next time, I am going to make him a bowl separately and then fill the main bowl with lots and lots of sliced mushrooms. As the years go by, I am getting less and less inclined to want to give up foods just to please picky eaters.
This salad includes a light vinaigrette. Feel free to switch it out for your favorite dressing. Definitely, serve it on the side. If you pour the dressing all over the salad, you will end up with an ugly mess (I may or may not be talking from experience).
1. Info for Balsamic Dinner Salad with Bacon
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Balsamic Dinner Salad with Bacon
- 1 head green or red leaf lettuce, rinsed
- 1 pound bacon,cooked and chopped
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup spiced nuts (I made Rosemary Walnuts)
- 1 tsp salt
- Tear lettuce leaves into a big salad bowl.
- Toss with chopped bacon, eggs, cranberries, nuts and mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve vinaigrette on the side.