Have you ever taken a moment to look at the Latin food section of your grocery store? There are so many fun things to find there. Goya Foods is a Latin food brand that, as far as I can tell in all of my moves around the country, is a national brand found everywhere. Their product line is very extensive. Some of their foods are even in the freezer section!
Goya Foods has teamed up with myplate.gov to produce a little cookbook to help us eat more healthy. Called Healthy, Tasty, Affordable Latin Cooking, it contains ten complete dinners, each containing thirty recipes that follow the balanced plate guidelines. And it’s bilingual!
Said Chef Carey Yorio of Goya Foods, “We created the MyPlate cookbook to provide families with healthy, delicious and affordable recipes that can easily fit into everyday living.” There are all sorts of meals from South American to Tex-Mex, pizza to Caribbean. Most average about thirty minutes to make.
I made the Black Bean Quesadillas, a quick and easy meal that was a huge hit with my kids. One of my sons was surprised that after eating one, he was completely full. I liked how simple they were to make. The only change I made was to add a cooked chicken breast to the filling. These would make a great part of a Big Game buffet!
1. Info for Black Bean Chicken Quesadilla
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 430 kcal
2. Ingredients for Black Bean Chicken Quesadilla
- 1 can Goya low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large handful shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 8 small flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- Pour the Goya Pico de Gallo into a wire sieve and let most of the liquid drain off.
- In a bowl, combine the pico de gallo, black beans, cheese, cilantro and chicken.
- Spray a large nonstick griddle with cooking spray and place 4 of the tortillas on the griddle.
- Divide the mixture between all four.
- Top with the remaining four tortillas.
- Cook, carefully flipping the quesadillas once.
- They are done when the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy.