These cookies come from my mother-in-law. When I first married the Good Guy, I had not tasted dates much and didn’t know if I liked them. By our second Christmas together, we were living within 45 minutes of my in-laws and that is when I first tasted these treats. This recipe has been in my mother-in-law’s recipe file for well over 50 years. It just wouldn’t be Christmas in that house if these cookies didn’t make an appearance.
The soft brown sugar cookie and the date filling combine to make an almost butterscotch flavor. They are sweet and unassuming, but oh so addictive. I was hooked after just one bite. They are super simple to make. The “filled” look is achieved simply by putting a spoonful of dough on the sheet followed by a smaller spoonful of filling and topped off with a second, even smaller, dollop of dough. While they bake, they flatten out but the filling mostly stays between the dough layers.
1. Info for Easy Date Drops
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Easy Date Drops
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped, pitted dates
- Cream the sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add them alternately with the water.
- Boil the filling ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until thick.
- Drop a spoonful of dough onto a greased baking sheet.
- Top with a slightly smaller spoonful of filling and then top that with about half the amount of dough as you used on the bottom layer.
- Bake 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.