I had some cherry pie filling that needed to be used up, so I tweaked a traditional dump cake and turned it into a wannabe Black Forest Dump Cake. All of the dump cakes I have ever had involved yellow cake mixes with pie filling. To oomph it up just a bit, I added a bit of orange extract to the cherries to mimic kirsch. You could also add almond flavoring if you’d like.
A dump cake is just that; a cake made from dumping (not stirring) ingredients into a pan. The magic formula is fruit then cake mix then melted butter. Somehow it all turns into a deliciously easy cobbler type cake. Serve it up warm with vanilla ice cream that melts into a great weeknight dessert.
1. Info for Chocolate Dump Cake
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chocolate Dump Cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 14 oz can sweet cherries, do not drain
- Open the can of pie filling and add (optionally) the extract, stirring carefully.
- Pour it into a greased 2 quart dish with the can of cherries.
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the cherries, completely covering them.
- Pour the melted butter all over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- There may be little bits of cake mix that doesn’t get moistened by the butter.
- That’s okay; when you serve it up, it will all mix together.