I can never find lady finger cookies when I need them. I don’t know if they are only in specialty stores or if they are in a very special, very secret section of chain grocery stores, but when I want them, they are impossible to find. Now, however, they are available anytime I want or need them because I can make them myself!! They are crispy immediately after baking, but if you put them in a sealed container, they soften up after a day. No matter which style your recipe calls for, you can have them for a fraction of store bought cost and without spending a day searching your local stores only to come up empty (I am not bitter. Not at all.)
1. Info for Homemade Lady Fingers
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Lady Fingers
- 3 eggs, separated
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use silpat baking sheets or line baking pans with buttered parchment paper. Beat the egg whites using until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites become stiff again, glossy and smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly with a fork and fold them very gently into the egg whites.
- Sift the flour over the egg mixture and fold again, very gently so as not to lose any fluffiness.
- Fill a pastry bag or zip lock bag with batter.
- Pipe the cookies into 5 inch strips, leaving about 1 inch space between cookies.
- Sprinkle half of the powdered sugar over the ladyfingers and wait for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the cookies.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies turn lightly golden and are still soft.
- Allow them to cool slightly on the sheets for about 5 minutes and then remove them to a wire wrack.