Okay, I have a new favorite way to use up leftovers. A blogger friend has said repeatedly how wonderful it is, but like bagels, I thought it might be too hard. All you have to do is make up a bread dough and put the leftovers inside. Braid it up really pretty and poof! You have a new meal. Really, all I can say is the more I try, the easier things are to make/bake.
1. Info for Stuffed Bread
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: unavailable
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Stuffed Bread
- 2½-3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- filling: leftovers, cheese, cooked meat, cooked vegetables,
- Mix 2½ cups flour with sugar, salt and instant yeast.
- Stir in 1 cup warm water and olive oil.
- Mix in enough of 1 more cup of flour to make a soft dough (I probably only used ½ cup more).
- Roll out to a 10 X 14 rectangle ON YOUR BAKING SHEET.
- Put your filling on the middle third of the dough.
- In my case, I put a layer of American cheese, a layer of BBQ pork and another layer of cheese.
- Cut the outer thirds into 1 inch strips equally on both sides.
- Alternating sides, braid over the filling.
- Cover with a towel and let rise 25 minutes.
- Bake 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- I brushed butter over the top after baking to keep it soft.