Dinner doesn’t have to be a pain in the Fattoush! This classic Lebanese Middle Eastern salad will be your new favorite jam. It’s fresh and different, crunchy and healthy. We fry up some cubed pita . . . ok, that’s the only slightly unhealthy part. We shake things up with a scratch balsamic dressing and top it off with seared bread cheese. Yes, we cook the cheese, that is the genius of using bread cheese. It’s crisp on the outside, melty on the inside, and takes this salad to a whole new level. #meatless #eatmorebreadcheese
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Bread Cheese Fattoush.
1. Info for Bread Cheese Fattoush
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 401.9 kcal
2. Ingredients for Bread Cheese Fattoush
- 2 pita rounds
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup jarred pickled chilis
- 2 handfuls romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint (chopped)
- 6 oz bread cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- Grab your pitas and cut them into small cubes. Place a large pan over medium-high heat and coat the bottom with half olive oil and half vegetable oil. Add the pita cubes to the pan and sprinkle with salt. Toast them up, stirring occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Find a large salad bowl and set aside. Take your cucumber and, using your knife, quarter it longways. Run your knife along the inside of each long strip and remove the seeds (they make for a soggy salad, but save them and make refreshing spa water). Then give the cucumber a rough chop and add them to the salad bowl. Next, add your pickled chilies and a bit of their oil. Tear up the romaine lettuce, rough chop the mint, and add both to the salad.
- The pita croutons should be pretty crispy by now, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and toss them in the salad. Place the pan with residual oil back over the heat. Now grab the life-changing bread cheese. Season the slab with salt and pepper and lay it in the hot oil.
- Next, grab a jar for our dressing. Combine 1 part balsamic vinegar (about 2 tablespoons) to 2 parts veg oil (about 4 tablespoons). Pause and flip your bread cheese. Back to your dressing in a jar, add a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, and the sugar. Place the lid on the jar and shake it up.
- Remove the bread cheese from the pan and place it on your cutting board. Cube it up and toss it on the salad. Drizzle dressing over the salad. You won’t use all of the dressing but it will keep in the fridge for up to one week. Season your salad with salt and pepper.
- Pile a heaping helping of salad onto your plate. If you choose, sprinkle with a bit of sumac, and you’re done!
- Hot Tip: Spa day – To prevent a soggy salad, remove the seeds from your cucumbers, but save them and make refreshing spa water
- Hot Tip: Jarring dressing – Prep your dressing in a jar, use what you need, the rest will keep in the fridge for up to one week