If you’re from the South, coleslaw is a food group. Southerners serve it at everything from fish fry cookouts to BBQs, and there’s probably not a pulled pork sandwich that does not come with coleslaw. This recipe is super simple and will give you a nice, light and refreshing coleslaw to eat as a topping for a big ‘ole pulled pork sandwich or as a side dish. The flavor is very balanced, both sweet and salty, as the sugar and carrots offer some sweetness to balance out the vinegar and lemon juice.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Classic Southern Coleslaw.
1. Info for Classic Southern Coleslaw
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 15 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 15 Min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 81.36 kcal
2. Ingredients for Classic Southern Coleslaw
- lemon juice
- apple cider vinegar
- black pepper
- medium carrot
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper until fully incorporated.
- Cut cabbage in half, then cut into thin shreds with a sharp knife. Add shredded cabbage and carrot to the coleslaw dressing and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate coleslaw covered at least 1 hour for flavors to meld and texture to soften, and then serve.