A crispy, caramelized croissant
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Kouign-Amann.
1. Info for Kouign-Amann
- Cook Time: 3 Hr 15 Min
- Total Time: 3 Hr 15 Min
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 246.66 kcal
2. Ingredients for Kouign-Amann
- 2 1/4 tsp. packaged active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (for first dough mix)
- 1 3/4 cup bread flour (for dough)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter (softened, for first dough mix)
- 12 Tbsp. cold salted butter (cut in 1/2-inch cubes, for second dough mix)
- 1/4 cup water (cold, for second dough mix)
- Flour (for dusting)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, salt, and softened butter on medium-low until just combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour. Change out the paddle attachment to a dough hook. Mix until the dough begins to come together. Add the cold water and mix until combined.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture. Mix on medium speed just until the dough forms a ball, leaving large butter chunks in the dough, about 3 minutes.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and turn out the dough onto surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a 12×15-inch rectangle. Dust with small amounts of additional flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Fold the bottom half of the dough up to center, then the top half over the bottom.
- Starting from the left side, roll the dough to the right side until it forms one large roll. Press the dough down with your hand to roughly 2-inches thick. Cover with plastic wrap and rest dough at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Press down the dough again. Wrap fully with plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill for 1 hour.
- Spray a 12-cavity muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar over a clean surface. Place the chilled dough on top of the sugar, and sprinkle remaining sugar over top of dough.
- Roll the dough out to a 16 inch square.
- Fold 1/3 of the dough from the right side to center. Fold the left side over the other two layers of dough.
- Roll out the dough to a 13×17-inch rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife, trim off 1/2 inch of dough on all sides. Discard scraps.
- Using a ruler, cut dough into twelve 4 inch squares.
- Pinch the top corners of each square together, and place in the cavities of the muffin pan.
- Cover the muffin pan loosely with plastic wrap and proof at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the kouign-amann on middle rack of oven for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking until the pastry has browned all over, about 40 minutes.
- Check to see that kouign-amann are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Immediately remove the kouign-amann from muffin pan with a fork or butter knife and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cool at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.