A slight variation on traditional baked collards, these low-and-slow-cooked greens get a punch of added flavor from smoked turkey.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Oven-Baked Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey.
1. Info for Oven-Baked Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 422.68 kcal
2. Ingredients for Oven-Baked Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 lbs. collard green leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 3/4 tsp. salt (or more to taste, for greens)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 turkey legs (small, smoked)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Salt (for serving, as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Set a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion. Saute until onion is lightly browned and softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and gently scrape the browned bits from the bottom.
- Add the collard leaves to the pot one handful at a time, stirring to coat in the broth and onions. Cook, stirring constantly, until greens have wilted down, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, hot sauce (if using), salt, and black pepper and stir into greens. Place the turkey legs in the pot, and cover securely with a lid.
- Bake the collards on middle rack of oven until they are very dark green and soft, 75-90 minutes.
- Check to see that collards are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Remove the turkey legs. Shred the meat and return it to pot, discarding bones and skin. Stir in the butter, and add additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.