A slight variation on traditional baked collards, these low-and-slow-cooked greens get a punch of added flavor from smoked turkey.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Oven-Baked Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey.
1. Info for Oven-Baked Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 45 Min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 422.68 kcal
2. Ingredients for Oven-Baked Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 lbs. collard green leaves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 3/4 tsp. salt (or more to taste, for greens)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 turkey legs (small, smoked)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Salt (for serving, as needed)
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
Set a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the onion. Saute until onion is lightly browned and softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and gently scrape the browned bits from the bottom.
Add the collard leaves to the pot one handful at a time, stirring to coat in the broth and onions. Cook, stirring constantly, until greens have wilted down, 4-5 minutes.
Add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, hot sauce (if using), salt, and black pepper and stir into greens. Place the turkey legs in the pot, and cover securely with a lid.
Bake the collards on middle rack of oven until they are very dark green and soft, 75-90 minutes.
Check to see that collards are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Remove the turkey legs. Shred the meat and return it to pot, discarding bones and skin. Stir in the butter, and add additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.