A complex blend of spices and plenty of vegetables go into this hearty stew, which can be vegan if you opt for vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and olive oil instead of butter. If it’s available, you can substitute 2 1/2 tablespoons of ras el hanout (a Moroccan spice blend) for all of the spices listed in the recipe. Harissa, a sweet and spicy chili-based hot sauce from North Africa, adds an extra layer of flavor; some brands are much hotter than others, so start with the lower amount and then add more if you’d like it spicier.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew.
1. Info for Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Cook Time: 4 hr 20 min
- Total Time: 4 hr 20 min
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 231.93 kcal
2. Ingredients for Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- 1 onion (medium)
- 1-inch fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet potato (about 1/2 lb., or use Yukon gold potatoes)
- 1 turnip (large)
- 1 bulb fennel
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for onion mixture)
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz. per can)
- 2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz. per can, drained)
- 1 Tbsp. harissa (double the amount for a spicier dish; buy at well-stocked grocery stores and online, or substitute 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (for serving)
- 1/2 lemon (juiced, optional)
- Salt (optional; for serving)
- Whole-wheat couscous (optional, for serving)
- Dice the onion. Finely mince the ginger. Mince the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and turnip, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Core the fennel and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Cut the apricots into quarters.
- Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the salt, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cinnamon stick. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the spiced onion mixture to a 4- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in sweet potato, turnip, fennel, apricots, tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, and harissa.
- Cook, covered, on high until vegetables are tender and cooked through, about 4 hours.
- Chop the cilantro. Taste chickpeas and stir in lemon juice and more salt if desired. Discard cinnamon stick. Ladle chickpeas into bowls, scatter cilantro on top, and serve with couscous.