Cakes are perfect for all occasions, or no occasion at all. It is a way to escape the stresses of the day. This Diotorta or Hungarian Walnut Cake is flavorful and guaranteed to whisk away all the pressures of the world. Ingredients include egg yolks, superfine sugar, flour, ground walnuts, rum, egg whites, milk, butter, vanilla extract. This cake is moist and savory, as well as sweet and hearty. How can you resist?
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Diotorta: Hungarian Walnut Cake.
1. Info for Diotorta: Hungarian Walnut Cake
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 1318.64 kcal
2. Ingredients for Diotorta: Hungarian Walnut Cake
- 6 egg yolks
- 120 gr. superfine sugar
- 110 gr. flour
- 4 tbsps. walnuts, ground
- 3 1/2 tbsps. rum
- 6 egg whites
- 6 tbsps. flour
- 300 ml. milk
- 300 gr. butter, softened
- 150 gr. superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tbsps. rum
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Beat the egg yolks with 40 grams sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the flour, walnuts, and rum.
- Beat the egg whites with the rest of the sugar, then divided into 3 parts: 1 part at the beginning, another once they look whiter, and the rest when they are almost ready. Beat until firm peaks are formed.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, being careful not to over-beat.
- Pour into a 22-centimeter cake mold lined with parchment. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let it cool.
- Cut horizontally into 3 layers. Set aside.
- Dissolve the flour in the milk and bring to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pan, stirring until it thickens. Remove from the stove and set aside while it cools.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the milk and flour mixture, walnuts, rum, and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- To assemble the cake, plate the first layer of sponge cake, spread some of the frosting on top. Add the second layer and more frosting, then add the top layer and cover the entire surface of the cake with the frosting. Sprinkle the rest of the walnuts on the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.